Monday, August 6, 2012

What do you want?

On another walk with my daughter, I began chatting with God about various things and then started to take some needs we have to him.

I was praying and asking God for help with a car situation - I was asking for the car to be able to be fixed and to be able to pay for the fixing.

"What do you really want, Renate?" 

As I prayed, I listened, and I heard God ask me again... "What do you really want?"

I thought I was telling him what I want - what I feel we need... As I thought about it though, I realised that if I was honest, I really wanted a different car - one that was reliable, not as old, had new tyres, more room for Adira and her pram - 4 doors!! I felt guilty though, asking for that.

There are many times when I think God wants us to ask him specifically for things or for people or circumstances. He wants us to be honest with him. God doesn't want us praying prayers we think he wants to hear or prayers we think others say we must. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about asking God for stuff for the sake of stuff but being honest about our needs and desires. You see, God already knows what we need before we ask (Matt 6.8) but he wants us to come to him and ask anyway. He loves us.

The Bible states that we "do not have what you want because you don't ask God for it" (James 4.2 NLT). Of course that same passage goes on to talk about motives, etc and we need to check our hearts regarding our desires, but God says to "ask... and you will receive" (John 16.24 NLT).

So, what do I want? If I could ask anything... If I replace obligation and burden with opportunity and desire...

I do want that reliable car.
I want my extended family to come to know Jesus.
I want to make a difference.
I want to lead on a great adventure.
I want to go on a great adventure.
I want to be brave and courageous and bold.
I want to teach, show, shape.
I want to be wanted, needed, acknowledged, appreciated.
I want to tangibly know, feel, experience God’s presence.
I want to remember.
I want to know and trust God more.
I want to point others to God.
I want to be a positive influence.
I want be a good wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend.

What do you want?

God cares about the answer. He doesn't want us praying prayers or living lives of obligation and burden. He has freedom for us. He is our loving heavenly Father who has good gifts to give his children (Matt 7.11).

Listen to God. Pray. Share your heart with him. You might be surprised at what happens next...

No comments:

Post a Comment